My Favourite Window

August 20, 2010

Happy Birthday

Today is my 50th birthday. The rain has cleared: a little more blossom is out, though well behind the same time last year; but the jonquils in the photo have been flowering for a month now, the first white star opening in the week that we purchased this land. To open up this house, the house of my childhood, after my mother's years of reclusivity, I held a birthday breakfast. Elwin cooked for me on the coal range, porridge, scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon. Family, friends and neighbours came and ideas flowed along with the coffee.

I'm still celebrating. Others came for a pot-luck lunch, and mid-afternoon I walked with friends around the village. Though the day is damp and grey and melancholy, it has been peopled with warmth and inspiration.

No comments: