My Favourite Window

February 6, 2014

A Birthday Picnic

Nearly a month since I last blogged; a national holiday to relax on; friends to catch up with... surely I can make time to post some snaps of a day at the beach?


Noreen had a birthday with a zero in it yesterday. She lives in Wellington but today she and her husband Dyk who is also my blog friend at Welly Jewell

were picnicking with Canterbury friends at Taylor's Mistake


 where quirky little holiday baches line the shore.


After dipping our toes in the tepid and very clear water, and watching a helicopter rescue operation on nearby clifftops


 it was time for birthday cake before boarding Gary's and Jane's house bus for the ride back to Christchurch.


And since today - Waitangi Day - commemorates the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, I should use the full bi-lingual name for the lovely bay we visited today Te Onepoto / Taylors Mistake.



9 comments:

rusty duck said...

Oh the colour of that sky!! How wonderfully cheering on a grey and wet English winter day.

Steve said...

Don't know whether you got my message but thank you so much for the wonderful letter and the chocolate. It was delicious. Something to savour. I still mean to write you a reply!

Joanne Noragon said...

Pictures to smile about. A lovely families and friends day.

Susan Heather said...

Looks a great family day.

Cro Magnon said...

I'd like one of those beach-side cabins. Perfect.

Geo. said...

Baches you call them. Delightful.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

rusty duck: I thought you could do with some cheering up :-)

Steve: Yes I did and am sorry I didn't reply at the time - so glad you liked the chocolate!

Joanne Noragon: Yes, it was one of those days and great for catching up with friends we don't see very often.

Susan Heather: My two girls loved it but not the sunburn they came home with... oh dear.

Cro Magnon: They are truly delightful. I especially love those hugging the rocky shore under the huge macrocarpa trees.

Geo: Yes bach apparently comes from 'baching it' as in the way a bachelor lives. Another word in common use in NZ is crib, which I understand is Scottish dialect.

Dyk Jewell said...

Thanks Jeneane, it was a great day. Lovely to catch up with you and the girls again.
We have just got back to a cold and damp Wellington. At least we don't have the storms they are having in the UK. The railway line near Dawlish I used to travel on a lot has been washed away. Time to build an ark I think.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Yes, they are having a bad time of it in England aren't they - while we have been basking in the sun. I tried to leave a comment on your blog and got turned down too, too many times. I'll try again another day.