My Favourite Window

April 25, 2012

ANZAC Commemoration at Ashley


I gather flowers for ANZAC tributes,


take them to school for the little ones to make sandsaucers,


and parents to make wreaths and sprays.



I return later in the day with Kitty, full of cold, and her homemade wreath,


to join her schoolfellows at the Ashley Cenotaph



for a pre-ANZAC Day ceremony.


The School Principal addresses the children and I remember my own school days when our Headmaster used to bring us across the road from the school to lay one single wreath in memory of the Fallen. Because ANZAC Day is a holiday, this school commemoration is always held close to 25th April - this year we gathered on 23rd April.


The Ode of Remembrance is recited and a bugler plays Reveille and the Last Post on a 100 year old bugle.



The children lay the flowers prepared in the morning,



and return to school.




I take a silent moment to salute the men who died from Ashley Bank in two wars, and particularly Private Schmidt,
who returned to NZ but died of pneumonia two days later. I suspect he never returned to his family at the Skudder House.

6 comments:

Murphyfish said...

Hi, tis I murphyfish the long lost blogger. I've started to write once more and would love to have you along for the ride me dear, find me here at ;-

http://gairdh.blogspot.co.uk.

tis not what you may expect from me but I'm getting there.

John

John Going Gently said...

those "flowers and children" photos are incredibly moving

Jeneane said...

Gairdh: Glad to see you back in the Blogosphere. I look forward to more of your excellent photography :-)

John Gray: Thankyou John. This small country school has a lovely respectful culture and I couldn't help noticing how the boys were particularly protective of their chosen wreath.

The Sagittarian said...

Beautiful tribute, I think it will be great when our city has somewhere special to commemorate ANZACs again!

About Last Weekend said...

The Kiwis are so good at giving past soldiers a sincere commemoration.

Jeneane said...

Yes we are aren't we. There has been a bit of debate lately about observing ANZAC day on the nearest Monday to make a long holiday weekend. I feel this misses the point of observing the date. I can't say whether we would loose that solemnity and reverence but I don't think we need a long weekend detracting from it.