My Favourite Window

April 16, 2011

Rainy Day Blues

It's been a while, hasn't it, since I have dipped into the Skudder House's treasure chest, yet I know that many of my readers enjoy a glimpse into Lady Mondegreen's pattern book, and since the weather has been wet and dreary, I've chosen some dress fabrics from my mother's collection - mostly blue ones...


Pink sateen: utterly sumptuous and decidedly sensual.  Cotton sateen makes a good lining material for coats
and jackets, but I would love a rich evening dress in this gorgeous stuff.  Failing that, just to be able to pocess and handle this fabric is gratification in itself.


Exuberance of a different kind and another object of desire.
I am surprised to find these abstract graphics amongst my mother's fabrics, because she has always seemed unresponsive - critical even of 'modern art'Maybe the fact that this light cotton is a fabric sample, sold off cheaply from a furnishing department, made it too good to pass up.  I love the depth of colour and the bravura of the design. 


This is a more conventional piece of cotton, not quite a dress length (3 yards) now, but it speaks to me of summer days by sparkling seas and I imagine myself wearing it as capri pants on the deck of a yacht; indolent.


I've noticed this type of floral pattern has come back into fashion recently, and because I remember the look from late 70s conservatism the current fashion feels ageing to me.
Usually I am not drawn to synthetic fabrics,
but there is something about the silky quality of this remnant that gives it an allure.  There is nothing harsh in its softness or drape.


No comments: